Thursday, December 30, 2010

Just an ordinary day...

First, I want to clear up something I said in my last blog... The reference for "May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to you, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer" is not Proverbs 3:5-6, it is Psalm 19:14. The other one is "Trust in the Lord with all your heart..." (also a good one, lol). Anyway, just wanted to clear that up...

Ok, so... Let me just be honest. With all the craziness of the holidays and working nights this past week, I have just been going going going or trying to catch up on sleep. My time in the Word has been suffering for it and I have felt the distance growing in the few days I've been struggling. Not good... But thank God for His neverending mercy... "O, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His mercy endures forever!" Psalm 136. BUT I have also noticed how in just a few days my perspective starts to change and I am more tuned towards MY desires instead of HIS desires... Not being with Him EVERY day is like me telling Him I don't have time for Him or He doesn't deserve the hours in that day of my life--He gave those very moments to me to worship Him with my every breath. I realize we all have days when we mess up--If we didn't, then we'd have no need of Him. But how sad is it that we waste so many days because we think our way is best? I don't understand it sometimes... Anyway, speaking of moments, what I wanted to share with you brings this song to mind:

"Our lives are made in these small hours
These little wonders, these twists and turns of fate
Time falls away but these small hours
These small hours still remain"

--"Little Wonders", Rob Thomas

Only this time I'm not talking about fate... I'm talking about God orchestrating "little wonders" for us to see how much we really need Him and how joy-filled life is when we walk with Him daily.

So as I said, I haven't made much time to be still and quiet. Last night I finally had a little time to just sit and read and pray and I was able to recharge. This morning I woke up and wanted to get the day started the right way so as I was eating breakfast I was reading my Bible.
My dad was sweeping in the kitchen and asked what I was reading. I told him, "My Bible". He says, "What?" and I said, "My Bible". He asked what again and I was starting to wonder about his hearing (haha) when he clarified what he meant and said, "What in the Bible are you reading?" I told him Exodus and he asked if I would read some to him.
At first I started to find another passage because I was reading about the specifications of the tabernacle, but he told me just to start where I was. So I did. I was in Exodus 26 and when I finished, my dad says, "Wow. God is really specific" and we laughed.
I usually summarize what I read or jot down thoughts in a journal and when my dad passed back through the kitchen and saw me doing that he asked, "What could you be writing in your journal about that?" and I told him I was just summarizing. Then I told him that the footnotes helped me better understand what I was reading...
Exodus 26 starts to wrap up like this, starting in verse 31: "Make a curtain of blue, purple and scarlet yarn and finely twisted linen, with cherubim woven into it by a skilled worker. Hang it with gold hooks on four posts of acacia wood overlaid with gold and standing on four silver bases. Hang the curtain from the clasps and place the ark of the covenant law behind the curtain. The curtain will separate the Holy Place from the Most Holy Place. Put the atonement cover on the ark of the covenant law in the Most Holy Place."
The footnote says, "Perhaps the most beautiful and intricate of all the fabrics in the tabernacle, the veil was to hang from pillars by clasps, dividing the chamber into two separate rooms. The larger room would be called the holy place and the smaller room the Most Holy Place. The Hebrew expression can also be translated "the Holiest Place" or "the Holy of Holies""

I went on to read the next couple of chapters that talk about Aaron's role as priest and the consequences of entering the holy place with sin... The consequence was death. And now, because of His great mercy on His children, we can "come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need" (Hebrews 4:16).

Not only was this moment between my dad and I very sweet and something I will probably remember for a long time (if he thought as much of it as I did this morning, I don't know, but I know it was great for me!), but God also used it to remind me just what I needed reminding of. I should NEVER take for granted what a privilege it is to enter His presence. May we DAILY come boldly to the throne of grace in reverence and worship of the One who deserves the very lives He has given to us.

I know this was long (wondering if anyone will read all the way to the end :) ) but I wanted to remind myself of it sometime later too. :) Hope you and yours are having a wonderful end-of-the-year. As for me, I am about to play a game with my sister and head to bed soon. Goodnight, all!

Blessings,
Becca

"O, Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good, His mercy endures forever!"

No comments:

Post a Comment